Hello Everyone,
My new area is fantastic. As is my new companion. The transfer meetings we have are always super confusing for me when I'm getting a new companion. Our mission President just stands at the microphone and lists off the new companionships but he does it fast enough that I'm never certain whether the name he says after mine is my new companion or the name he says before mine. Often times I'm not expecting my name to be called. I mean I know I am being transferred and I'm waiting for my name to be listed but I never am fully prepared for it. I of course notice when my name is called and then I really pay attention and catch the name directly after my own. So that is probably my problem. My name is probably usually said last within the new companionship. So this past transfer meeting I again wasn't expecting my name to be said but when it was I only heard the name that came after mine and assumed that that was my companion. "Elder Blahblahblah and Elder Blahblahblah, Elder F. Miller, Elder C. Miller". So I thought that my new companion was Elder C. Miller and I thought to myself, "this will be interesting". I think there are now 4 different Elder Millers in the mission. I sat down and Elder C. Miller even kind of did the whole pat the seat beside him thing to indicate where I should sit. So I sat beside him and just pictured the confusion that was about to ensue whenever we meet new people. "Which Elder Miller?" But then I realized the other Elder I was sitting next to was totally confused as well and asked who my new companion was. I pointed to Elder C. Miller and he said "What? I thought he was training a new missionary." So I asked Elder C. Miller and he confirmed that he was indeed training and that the confused Elder and I were companions. Everything is fine now. I am with Elder Orgill but despite the name differences a few members have already gotten us confused, but they're old and senile so it's not a big deal. I guess that's the biggest news, I am in a new area and it's great. My new companion likes to work out so I'm acutally starting to as well which I'm supposed to do and it's been feeling good. My companion was super bummed cause he had one of those pull up bars which kind of wedges itself in the doorway and is prevented from falling down by the door molding, but the molding was really weak and my companion cracked it. But there were conveniently a couple of eye bolts in a ceiling beam so we strapped the pull up bar up there with a couple of old ties that I no longer wear. It's pretty sturdy but just in case I let my companion go before me each morning, so hopefully I don't lose any teeth.
We picked up a new investigator cause a member referred him to us which was fantastic. He is a Vietnam veteran but suffers from PTSD. During our first lesson with him he actually told us that he had already been baptized a mormon but was "discommunicated" because the ward members didn't agree with the Vietnam war. So we are potentially dealing with someone who is a little unstable but we'll look up to see if he's ever been baptized and if not then he's perfectly willing to be it seems. We'll have to get him to stop drinking and smoking which I've never had luck with getting investigators to really do. And there is the chance that he won't be worthy to be baptized. I'm not sure what the whole stance is on the shedding of blood during military service, but he says that that is why he was "discommunicated". Other than him we have a family of three that seem pretty solid in their desire to be baptized so hopefully they'll come to church more so we can help them be baptized. And then we are trying to work with a guy who my companion was super excited for me to meet. I have a calendar that gives me a new Jeopardy question each day and I had a can of tennis balls visible when my companion picked me up and he was geeking out about how much I have in common with an investigator and he was certain that it was meant to be. So I have met the guy once and he's tall and skinny and loves tennis and trivial facts and it was kind of creepy how much we were alike. Twilight Zone. But we'll see where that goes.
Have a wonderful week everyone.
Sincerely, Elder Miller
Monday, June 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment