Monday, August 22, 2011

Hello everyone,

This week went by pretty fast seemingly. On Monday of last week all the missionaries in our zone got together to play sports which hasn't been done for a while so it was a big deal. About the time I started my mission our former mission president banned missionary get togethers on preparation days because he felt we could be baptizing more people. The reinstitution of permitting us to play sports together on preparation days I guess would be a reward were we to fulfill the mission goals. Anyway, our new mission president is a bit more soft hearted, for now. So we got together and played rugby and basketball and then at the stake center couldn't resist posing for some photos with the wooden handcarts that were back from the recent youth trek. It was a fun day.

On Tuesday we taught a less active lady that we have been working with. She is the sweetest lady and insists on feeding us everytime we come over. As soon as we finish the lesson she jumps up and tells us that she has already prepared some sandwhiches or hot dogs or has some cake and yogurt and bananas. She is super nice. She takes care of her mother who has alzheimers though so that often stresses her out and prevents her from making it to church cause she has to take her mother to her own church often. But yesterday she was at church and brought her mother along with her. Her mother is super friendly and always complimenting peoples smiles and you always feel really good when you are around those two. They are really funny.

Then on Wednesday we had an appointment with a couple of guys who rent rooms out of this house nearby where we live. One of them has already come to church twice but he was sick so we taught the other the plan of salvation and it went okay. He has agreed to being baptized sort of but admitted that he's holding himself back. We basically told him to not do that and invited him to really read the Book of Mormon and figure out what he really wants from life.

Oh, earlier on Wednesday, how could I forget? We had to get up early to drive to the mission office because Elder Gavarret of the first quorum of the seventy was touring the mission and was addressing four zones that day. It was good. Sometimes they feed us but this wasn't one of those times. Elder Gavarret mainly spoke using stories from the new testament to highlight faith and it's importance in missionary work along with relying on the Holy Ghost. Frankly I had a hard time understanding him fully because of his Peruvian accent but the meeting was good. Those gatherings are always fun cause you can briefly catch up with old companions and where they are serving now and how the old wards area doing. Plus most importantly, I grabbed a spatula from the mission supply closet, so my pancake making times are back in business. President Watkins also initiated a shirt/tie exchange. He had a bunch of new white shirts and ties and told us all to trade in ties and shirts for new ones. I like all my ties so I didn't trade any and I didn't really like the new ties. All pretty bland if you ask me. Ties are pretty much our only form of fashion expression and I'm not about to trade away my personality.

Anyway, yesterday was a busy day. Church took up much of it. But then we had to rush to dinner and devour some pretty good tacos that some members made us. And then rush back to our apartment to be picked up by one of our investigators who agreed to give us a ride to the missionary outgoing fireside. I really wanted to go cause my very first companion who trained me is going home and so at the fireside you get to hear from all of the people finishing their missions and then chat with them afterward. In order to attend you have to get an investigator to come along with you though. It was a risky situation. We had accidentally scheduled an appointment with our investigator during the outgoing fireside so I had to call him and invite him to the fireside in place of the lesson. I think he's kind of eager to show his willingness to join the church and do what we say so it all worked out and he took us. I tried to invite him so as to not seem like we were taking advantage of him though. I'm not sure if he actually enjoyed it as much as he said he did but all that matters is that I was able to say good bye to my trainer and get some pictures with him. Plus some members from my first area were there so it was great to see them again. My companion chatted with the presidents assistant and he got the impression that he'll definitely be transferred next week so I'll be on to having my 7th companion.

Those are my week highlights I guess. This Saturday our ward is having a picnic baseball party so we are going to invite as many non members as possible so we'll have an excuse to go ourselves. Hopefully members bring their friends and stuff too so it should be a good turn out.

Have a wonderful week everyone.

Sincerely, Elder Miller

No comments: