Monday, October 24, 2011

Hello Everyone,

This week was good. A couple of times we went on exchanges with our neighboring missionaries cause they don't have a car yet their area is larger than ours. So we helped them out and got to know them a bit better so it was fun. I got to be on bike for half a day and it was fun to change things up. Whenever we both don't have dinner with our members we just have dinner together so it's like a missionary version of having friends I guess. Every missionary is different and it's a good experience to see others in action and how they handle situations or talk to people and learn from them. We met with a less active man in their ward who I guess is or once held some sort of national title in wrestling and is now still a coach for mixed martial arts and other competitive fighting styles and whatnot. It's sometimes weird to think of some of the people who are converts to the church. It's amazing how some people you wouldn't guess are religious or concerned about that aspect of their lives but it just goes to show that we are all in the same position in life. Everyone on the earth is here because they wanted to follow Gods plan. Even though it is extremely buried from many peoples understanding that doesn't change the fact that they have the potential to connect with their original desires and accept the Gospel. This tough burly wrestler at one time felt the need to join this church and be baptized, and though he stopped coming to church his initial reasons for being baptized and coming are still there and are still valid, he just needs to be reminded of that and rekindle his desire to follow Christ. It's great working with all the people we get to meet and befriend.

On Thursday we had our regular District Meeting but our district leader discovered that it is acceptable to have other missionaries in his district teach a portion of District meeting. So my companion and I were invited to teach this week and it went alright but to be honest a district leader doesn't really have too many duties. It doesn't seem like district leaders have all too much else to do besides teach District meeting and now he doesn't even do that. I'm of course just saying all this because I don't like being in front of large groups and trying to teach. If I'm ever a district leader then I'll be sure to delegate lessons to members of the district. That's a great idea in reality from the position of leader.

We had a good lesson with the young couple that we went on a hike with last week and finally taught them the first lesson. The woman is a less active member and her husband isn't a member of the church. They're really nice and easy going. I don't think they have much socializing in their lives since they had a baby so they don't mind us coming over cause perhaps they enjoy other company and consider us friends. So that's all good. And then yesterday they came to church. We were looking out for them but weren't sure if they'd make it. And then after sacrament meeting ended I realized that they had snuck in and were on the back row. They took off soon after sacrament meeting probably cause they have a very young baby but we'll try and get them to stay next week. I'm a little glad that they didn't stay cause I found out that our gospel principles teacher wasn't at church and so the responsibility fell to me. I got the lesson going which was on the priesthood. In the past when this has happened my companions have usually been the eager type who take over and do all the teaching unbothered by the big class. My companion has already taught twice but that was when we had warning that the teacher wouldn't be there. So I took over and it's not hard to do cause the manual makes it pretty simple. Read a section and then ask questions or answer questions. The hard part is having a class that is uncooperative and quiet. For the most part this class is uncooperative, there were like thirty people in there and most of them don't participate. But luckily there are like 3 of them that are only too willing to make comments and participate so I called on them alot and we filled up the time and it went alright but still wasn't the best lesson. I survived however and that's all that matters.

After church we met with our regular investigator. He's excited about a new business that he's starting up and we're excited too cause if it's successful then he'll be able to quit his other job and come to church finally. It seems like he's got a good product, from what he says. It's some kind of box that manages electricity spikes on your home so it balances your electricity usage and reduces your bill each month cause apparently PG&E measures based off your spikes in usage and not the average so this box prevents surges or something. It sounds really logical and worthwhile. If ever I'm a homeowner I think I'll look into it. Anyway, so he's got another business starting and he's a really solid guy who we think will get baptized if he can make it to church.

That has been my week as far as highlights go. I hope everyone is doing splendidly and has a good halloween celebration.

Sincerely, Elder Miller

No comments: