Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween

Hello Everyone,

I'm doing great. Halloween was actually a pretty fun series of weekend events even though my ward didn't have a party. So here's what happened. I serve in Centerville ward and they share the building with Glenmoor ward. Every year Centerville has a party and every year I think Glenmoor either has a trunk or treat or a party as well. This year since Halloween was on a Sunday both wards had been planning on having their party on Saturday. Glenmoor had actually reserved the building for Saturday and when Centerville realized this they kind of just assumed that they could combine their ward parties and it would all be good. So Centerville I think was planning on that up until they actually got around to asking Glenmoor about it and Glenmoor said no. Centerville ward is like twice to three times the size of Glenmoor and I believe a while back they tried to do a combined party and Glenmoor felt left out within the party. So Glenmoor wasn't having it this year and Centervill was left with no plans. Ward dynamics are interesting sometimes so that's why I just shared this. Plus I'm not in the Philippines and don't have any cool local quisine stories so I have to get in on the interward gossip. That's about all you're going to get from an elder in California.

But we didn't have a party to go to and so we were thinking that this Holiday would be a bit of a bummer. But our dinner appointment on Saturday was this lady in the ward that went all out and had kind of her own party that we ate at and so that was fun. The food ranged from a mummy meatloaf to an eyeball casserole and gummy worm punch. And then our Ward mission leader gave us some extra halloween decorations and we got to decorate our house with huge spider webs and lights. And my companion bought candy to give out on Sunday when trick or treaters (really teenagers who didn't bother to wear costumes) came to the door. And my companion also made a cake to give to our bishop and we took it over to present after he finished a Bishops youth fireside. So it was a fun chain of events. Oh and we also got volunteered to help run concessions at a local elementary schools halloween party. Apparantly the elders help out every year and have been for like 25 years. It was good many of the people that live in the neighborhoods that we tract got to see us in oversized lunch lady serving gloves and preparing their nachos and hot dogs so maybe we'll have some better doorstep reception rates now that people have seen us doing something other than proselyting.

So I'm doing well and having fun here. We have picked up a few new investigators who I am hopeful will progress quickly. It's much more fun out here when you have people to teach. Teaching is always more fun than finding. Transfers are next Monday and I am a little anxious cause my Trainer suspects that he'll be leaving and I am not looking forward to being the foremost authority on my area. Should be fun though.

Have a great week.

Sincerely, Elder Miller

No comments: