Monday, July 18, 2011

Hello Everybody,

This past week was good for my companion and I. We had a tentative baptism scheduled for a nine year old girl whose aunt and uncle are members and we are trying to get the parents ready as well for baptism. I was counting on the baptism to be postponed and it was. The girl was really unsure about that particular date in the first place cause her dad told her that he'd be on call for work and might miss her baptism so he convinced her to reschedule it and we are kind of glad that that happened cause we want them to be baptized as a family cause ultimately that will work out better in the long run considering prolonged activity but in Preach My Gospel it tells that baptism should not be post poned just to wait for other family members to get on board. So as missionaries we couldn't really enact what we really wanted to happen. We couldn't tell her to wait cause that goes against our guidelines. It's correct that baptism should never be put off and the reason is that some missionaries in the past have tried to get people to wait until they get their family members on board as well and in the process they lose everyone even the person that was ready from the start. I felt along those lines but wasn't too worried about it. I figured that she would want to wait and will ulitimately feel more comfortable when her parents join her and she will be the driving force for the parents to eventually come along. So the girl is rescheduled for the 30th of this month and we are really pushing to get her parents with it as well.

On Sunday we were lucky to have our new mission president speak in our ward and actually join us in attending the ward counsel beforehand. The problem with it all is that my companion and I had not really been aware that we were supposed to speak alongside our mission president and so we had no material planned. We both gave very poor talks that were shorter than the average youth speaker and our mission president had to revert to telling some stories in order to take up all the time we left on the clock. I think it worked out for the best. Everyone loved the stories and his talk and they hopefully forgot about us entirely.

One of our investigators just seems to remember everything about sports especially local sports and players. We brought a less active young man with us to teach an investigator and this less active Tongan guy just so happens to be a really good running back and has a few full ride scholarships to BYU and other schools. He comes from a high school that was our investigators rival high school growing up. But he got talking about a bunch of players that are now big. Apparrantly Tom Brady and Barry Bonds came from his high school. And there is another local high school where Dana Carvey graduated. I just find that interesting and am trying to think if I know of anyone famous from my high school.

Well that is about it. Oh, anyone who regularly writes me letters be aware that president Watkins has changed the policy requesting that all mail is sent through the mission office. He now wishes us to just have our mail sent directly to our addresses. So if you'd like to write me then here is my address. 450 Redwood Ave. Apt. 20 Redwood City, CA
94061. So the only issue arises if I get transferred which shouldn't be for a while but I'll tell people to stop mailing me if I sense a transfer is getting imminant.

Have a wonderful week everyone,

Sincerely Elder Miller

No comments: