Hello Everyone,
This past week was a bit of a downer. We have a nine year old girl scheduled to be baptized but her parents aren't quite on board with all the commitments that that entails and so we feel like we'll have to post pone her baptism until we can get everyone excited and committed to coming to church and meeting with us. Busy lives are the missionaries worst enemy. I have also come to the conclusion that it is unhealthy for missionaries to visit a Tongan household more than once a week. So much food I almost died. Just joking. But really, I don't know what it is but they are way too generous. I appreciate all the nice things the members do for us but it is too much. I guess they really take the fact that we are servants of the Lord seriously and they expect blessings from taking care of us and I'm sure they do. But I wonder if they can be held accountable should I develope diabetes or something. They do practically force food upon us and expect us to eat a few times what the average pulangis' (white boy) stomach can hold. They are great people though.
Anyway, things are looking up here in Redwood City. We are expecting to have to cancel that little girls baptism but thanks to the wonderful members we have other people to work with. There was a part member family that recently had a new born and the members, props to the relief society, took over and provided meals and baby clothes and all that jazz and now the father is interested in taking the lessons and coming to church and the mother is interested in becoming active again. So really everyone benefits and us missionaries just get to piggy back on the success of the awesome ward. Christ like service is where it is all at. I'm really looking forward to getting to work with this family and hopefully my companion and I will be able to find some people on our own and show that we aren't totally dependent on the ward. Though that's not a bad thing.
I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the summer. How is the summer in Oregon so far?
Sincerely, Elder Miller
Monday, July 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment