Hello All,
This past week was rather slow as far as mission work is concerned. We have fallen out of contact with a number of people that we have been working with, so we really need to try and set up furthur appointments with them somehow. I did, on Tuesday, finally get the banana bread package that Mom sent me though. And I got to read about my Dad's paintball trip and getting rammed by a truck. I don't have too many new adventures or stories but I would like to share my impressions concerning tracting.
Since our week has been slow and we don't have anyone to teach we tracted quite a bit. Two things stuck out to me, I don't like some people, but I do like others. I imagine you recognize that these are pretty simplistic understandings for me to come to and are probably wondering what type of education your children are getting out of public school system if they produced me, but let me explain. The group of people that I don't like when tracting are those that: 1)slam the door as they shout not interested 2)look out of their peep hole and then just decide to ignore you 3)pretend to not speak english 4)are afraid of you
Thinking about the last one, it's logical but I hate it. It makes perfect sense for the little old ladies or single mothers to be guarded when answering the door to two strange guys but it really gets annoying, especially when you compare it to the few awesome people that like come out and stand on their front step with you and give you a real conversation. My favorite guy just stepped right out and said "how can I help you?" with a small grin on his face and just beaming with friendliness. After we gave our spiel he simply said, "Oh, we are of another faith, and aren't exactly interested in changing. Okay?" and I was just thinking, I want to be his friend cause he is so cool and confident. Once he said that he initiated the shaking of our hands and told us to have a good day. That guy is awesome, I may go back and write down his address so I can look him up and become his friend when I'm off my mission. Just kidding, but I would actually look forward to tracting if we got a few more people like mr. happy pants answering doors than the people who just shout through their doors.
I'm making it a goal for myself to be more outgoing so that I can be more successful and approachable out here and that hopefully I'll be a cool guy who answers doors with an air of awesomness when I'm home.
Well those are my thoughts on tracting. I hope we can all learn something from it and answer doors with more confidence. Growing up my Dad's motto directed to me when he would dare me to do something silly, was "What's the worst that could happen?", now it's important to not let your imagination get out of control when pondering this question, but rather look at it realistically and recognize that odds are you won't be attacked or become a victim of home invasion when answering the door. So you might as well answer the door with a little panache. And that's all I have to say. Good day to you all. have a great week everyone.
Sincerely, Elder Miller
Monday, September 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I had to look up panache in the dictionary. Now I know how I'll answer my door the next time someone knocks.
I use dad's line all the time with my YW, I believe they now think it to themselves before I have to say it.
Post a Comment