Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day BBQ

This Monday was Labor Day of course and the library was closed where I do e-mails so I am e-mailing you now on Tuesday. But Yesterday was great, P-Day on a Holiday is quite an occurance, maybe. My ward here had a picnic and it was very successful on the subject of missionary work. On Saturday my companion and I were tracting at Miller Place. Mainly because I wanted to get a picture with the street sign, but perhaps that was inspiration on my part because oddly enough we found some people who were interested. We first approached the house and noted that the door was ajar, which is a great indicator that someone is home so we were excited after all the unanswered doors we had just left. Then as we started up the driveway we noticed there was a massive Rottweiler laying on the front step asleep. I noticed it's choke chain collar was linked with a fourth inch braided cable the led into the open garage and attached to a dumbell rack with probably a couple hundred pounds on it. But I didn't doubt that this dog could tow that rack if he wanted to. So we approached with caution. I know from playing with the neighbors dog that some Rottweilers are nice and just loveable like Rocky, but still I was ready to run if this one proved stereotypical. We got closer and the dog heard us and opened his eyes and raised his huge head and I figured a bark would be enough to let me know that my presence was unwanted and I'd leave, quickly. But the dog just stood up and my companion pet him and he wagged his tail and now he's my best friend. We ended up knocking on the door and wether the lady didn't hear us or she just didn't believe someone would be standing on her front step when her menacing dog was there I don't know. But we sort of startled her and she was impressed that we braved her dog (Baron) and she was just friendly anyway so we talked and she seemed interested and then we went back the next night to inviter her and her husband to the picnic and she and her son came.
So she and her son showed up and her son had a great time and members went over and made her feel welcome and so it was awesome. Plus we had a family that came and has been meaning to come to more church things but their kids are high functioning autistic and they were worried if they would fit in but they had a blast and the members all like them and talked to them and are so helpful that it was awesome.
The picnic was fun, I got to toss a frisbee a bit and it was right next to a pool and we pass pools like every day and I always wish I could swim cause it is always perfect swimming weather but alas, I'm a missionary. But it was great and I ate so many sweets that I haven't bought for myself cause that would be a waste of money but they are delicious. And it was just a great experience and I am grateful for the ward I'm in, and my companion and all the blessings I witness each and every day out here. It is just amazing to me how many people are here and how diverse this area is and how many are quick to refuse the gospel but at the same time there are those that pick it up like nothing.

Well I hope everyone is doing well, I'm doing great. My companion has IBS and so I get amusement out of every dinner appointment bringing it up. Though I'm worried they'll start feeding me non dairy and gluten free stuff all the time, my enjoyment from members feeding us meals may end. But it's good. Have a good week everyone.

Love, Elder Miller

2 comments:

Patty Fingers said...

Awesome! He sounds like he's doing so great! I really feel like the Lord is blessing him to enjoy his experience.

Audrey said...

He emailed me and told me that I should get a rottweiler instead of a cat.